Sunday, August 8, 2010

Summer Saga Continues -- Boy Scout Camp Weeks 1-4

Well, as it would happen Week 1 and 2 were our largest groups and the hottest two weeks in June.
Each week there are 3 campfires (I know it is summer -- hot and doesn't get dark till almost 9).
Sunday night is the Staff campfire.  Each program area has to do a skit and then introduce ourselves.  Ecology and Handicraft did one together.  Because there were 3 of us in Ecology and 2 in Handicraft.  Our skit was "Gone Fishing".  On the 4th week, we (our family and Crew) were blessed with a special treat.  Thane Williams had his Eagle Court of Honor.  We also had some wonderful fireworks for the 4th of July.  It wasn't as much fun as watching my knothead sons run around shooting off fireworks but it was a good job.

Wednesday night is the OA (Order of the Arrow) Campfire.  It is were the OA Dance and Drum Team put on a small show and then the "tap out or call out" ceremony happens.  This is were they pull people from the crowd, who have been voted on in their units as worthy to be part of the Honor Society.  The first week was a big surprise for me.  It seems Ben had quietly got my paperwork done.  His dad was told just before campfire (Dan had to stand behind me with an OA sash).  And Nate was one of the guys getting the candidates, so when Nate saw his Dad behind me, he broke neck to come get me.  I had my head down listening to the music and Nate startled me when he touched my hands and whispered "Come with me. Mom".  It has be threatened for years to get me in OA but hadn't happened, so I was shocked to say the least.  I held back the tears, because for me, "it is an honor to be tapped out".  Nate led me to the chiefs, there I stood in front of Malachi Baggett, who was in character...tall and serious and he tapped me on the shoulder 3 times.  Then I moved to Aaron Williams, who was also serious but had a smile in his eyes for me.  Next was Austin Wheeler, he couldn't hide a smile (he is one of the young men I have really come to love and spoil during camp). Each of these young men tapped me 3 times and then I was placed in a line to wait to be lead up to the Triple C for an intro to OA (info about ordeals).  The only sad part was Nick was not there, he had paperwork to do and didn't know.  Ben strutted around like a proud peacock.  Most people were shocked that I wasn't already OA.
Then on the 4th week, Thane Williams, Michael Dozier, Aaron Williams, Nick, John Ray and Stephanie Clausel were tapped out for Vigil, which is the highest honor in OA.  It was a very proud moment for me.  When Nick was chosen Nate carried the arrow and Ben quietly (ninja) behind in the dark and Nate/Ben broke the arrow on Nick's shoulder together.  It was quite the shock, because usually 1 person takes the arrow in two hands and breaks it singly.  But since both Nate and Ben are Vigil, they could do it together. Nick, Thane and Michael are all considered family and members of Crew 48 (our crew which Nick helped form and is the advisor for).

Friday night campfire is where the Troops do a skit (if they want) and awards are given.  Not much really to say about that.

As far as our daily routine, we had flag to start the day, then breakfast.
We had 6 sessions (50 minutes each) except Environmental Science which is 2 straight sessions twice a day.
We did 3 sessions between breakfast and lunch; LUNCH then 3 between lunch and dinner.
We had flag and then dinner and then evening activities.
After dinner, we had to prep for campfires or we had a night off (1 night from 5-11) or we gathered as a staff (didn't attend all of them).

We had so many people the first 2 weeks, that there was no room for staff to eat in the dining hall.  We ate under tents or in admin.  I finally just pack a sandwich and fruit and ate in my program area for lunch.  It gave me extra quiet time.

The last week of camp, we had so few boys that some of the staff were let go.  I got to teach Environmental Science.  I had two small classes and really enjoyed it.
The first 2 weeks were hard because of the heat and the large classes.  We had 3 classes running under 1 pavilion.  It was stressful and fun.  I worried about the boys and animals getting too overheated.  Those 2 weeks, we had no rain.  We could hear and see the clouds all around us, but no rain for us.  We finally started getting abit of rain over the next 2 weeks.

For the most part, I was with Dan when staff was together.  We interacted alittle bit, but most of the staff is mid-20's to 15.  It was fun to watch them and my children interact.

I found that for the most part I enjoyed teaching 11-18 year old boys.  I would love to find more interesting ways to teach some of the classes.  Less than a month to prepare and a busy month at that, was not enough time.  I taught Forestry, Fish & Wildlife Management/Mammal Study, Nature, Weather, Fishing and Energy.  Allysen Rayburn taught Reptile/Amphibian Study, Bird Study, Fish & Wildlife Management/Mammal Study, Nature, Insect Study.  John Peter Ford taught  Environmental Science (first 3 weeks) and Soil & Water Conservation.  Josh Kelly taught Astronomy for us.

I didn't lose as much weight as I hoped, in spite of the heat.  I didn't walked as much as I planned.  I found that by the second week, my knees were not liking Ecology hill.  Yes, I know it also leads to COPE but I name things the way I see them.  It mainly hurts going downhill and still does. Our driveway and going to the growing area (would love to call it a garden but it is a weed patch) are the same angle. Between 5 weeks of going up and down Ecology hill and the hills/trails going to Council Ring.  I am unsure of what is going on with my knees, mainly my left one.

I feel like there is much more to say, I can't think at the moment.  Have slight migraine, shouldn't be doing this, oh well.

I do want to add that I acquired alot more sons (young men and not as young men on staff) I am honored that they view me that way and I would like to think a daughter also.  I got to know a few people better and have grown to love them also; and not just because I have to. It was an honor and a privilege to work at Camp Yocona this summer.

Next blog will be about my OA Ordeal...yes, I  went through it!

Then a post of the future outlook or hopes and dreams for our family.

1 comment: