Monday, December 14, 2009

35 years

35 years of marriage
...oh my how did I get so old
...oh I remember
... time marches on.

Our story actually started in May not December. We just became legally married in December. No really before that, the first time I saw Dan was in 1970. I was 14 and he was 21 (but he looked 16, I kid you not). He became involved with the CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) but I was involved with someone else. Actually I was engaged twice before Dan, spent my teen years engaged.
Back to May 1974, I was getting close to graduation from Princess Anne High. I applied for a job at Arby's (oh by the way, this is happening in Virginia Beach, Virginia) and it was my first day of work. I was on the floor, 5 minutes when he came in. I hadn't seen him in awhile because we moved and didn't go to the base chapel anymore and he had been to sea. Yes, he was a sailor, that is one the perils of growing up in a military town. Oops, got off track. Anyway he came in with a guy friend for lunch, he saw me and recognized me. He insisted to my trainer, that I was the one to help him. Remember I had been on the floor a few moments and cash registers were much different back then. Well, I ended up getting his address and phone number. Oh by the way, I am 18 at this point and he hasn't turned 25 yet.
Well, many weekends my foster sister Laurie and I cruised the strip. I know, I know not very productive but as Abby would say "I liked to enjoy God's art work" and enjoyed looking at the guys. I had told Laurie about Dan and so we decided to go see him. So 2 girls come knocking at his door, oh how forward. And that is what his mom thought too...strike 1 with my future mother-in-law.
Added remembrance: This is really another strike with future mother-in-law making it strike 2, Dan had re-enlisted which meant he wasn't coming back to Cleveland. In reality, he had done that before me but hadn't told his folks. It was just assumed it was because of me.
So we started seeing each other. About the time of graduation, I asked Dan to not come around so much. After all, I spent my teen years engaged and wanted some freedom. He stayed away 3 days and has been in my life ever since.
Then in July, my dad and I were going through yet another rough spot. At that time, my old foster sister Barbara was visiting (she had married and moved away). She offered to let me come live with her and her husband in Michigan. Then I went over to Dan's and we talked about the fact, I had to move out because of the situation. So that is when it was decided, I would move in with him...strike 2 really strike 3 with my future mother-in-law. He was getting ready to go out to sea for about 3 weeks. He was in process of changing from sea duty to shore duty but they had no one to replace him on the ship. We would get married soon after he got back. Mind you, this goes against his strict upbringing. That was the 10th of July, so now to tell my parents.
So we went to see my mom and dad. Now mind you, Dan was 5'4" and 135 lbs. and my dad was 6'2" and well over 200 lbs. We are all in the kitchen and Dan proceeds to tell my folks "Barb is moving in with me and there is nothing you can do about it! We will get married after I get back." My dad had his back to us, as I waited for him to turn around with his response. I was praying, "Dear God don't let my dad kill him!" Dad turns around and says "She is free, white and 18 so okay." I think my mother gasped, it turns out she was more of a prude than dad (or so dad said). We packed up most of my stuff that night. And our life together began.
We had 9 wonderful days together before he went to sea. He came home for lunch everyday wink wink. Then he was suppose to be gone 2.5 to 3 weeks tops so the end of July to the beginning of August. Yeah right, this is the government. He finally made it home the beginning of October.
The wedding plans begin.
We decided on a December wedding, who really knows why. Other than both he and my dad would get the tax deduction if we did this before the end of the year. It was going to be a DIY wedding.
So Dan's parents came down with his oldest sister, Mary who was a bridesmaid, and his youngest sister Terry who was 5 and his brother Leonard who was his best man. They drove from Cleveland in a Honda Civic. Long drive, small car and then we weren't there when they arrived. This was way before cell phones so they sat out in the parking lot waiting for us...strike 3 strike 4with future mother-in-law. But I will never forget the big smile and hug I got from my future father-in-law. (Pause as I cry, because he is very ill and health declining.)
So the wedding day arrives. In the military back then, after September 1 the sailors wore Dress Blues, which are made of wool. I had a satin dress and mom had to make me slippers because I am 4" taller than Dan. So I get to the chapel and the yeoman isn't there and the chapel is locked. Luckily, I knew how to break in, because I saw Dan and his brother coming in his VW. I know, ridiculous because we lived together. My mom made me stay the night at their house before the wedding. So I get into the chapel and get ready. Oh by the way, it was 74 degrees that day and the 2 men I loved most in my life were having to wear wool :)
We were married at 11 am, then had the reception about 2 (getting fuzzy on the times and don't know where the invite is to confirm the time). Added memory, Laurie reminded: When the family go to the reception hall, there was no key to get the tables and chairs out of the closet. After the reception, we left and went to check-in to a small motel in Elizabeth City, NC. We only had the weekend off. I really wasn't into the engagement ring, fancy wedding ring or big honeymoon. Just quiet time with Dan, and the thing is, it is still that way. We went down to a friend of the family's restaurant, Angler's Cove in Hertford, NC. The next day, we wandered around Edenton, NC. Dan taught me to use his 35mm camera and took a bunch of photos of old houses and the sound.
So that is how it began, believe me there are a lot more things I would love to say. But I have had many interruptions and the day is ticking by.
My love to all, who have been a part of our lives for the past 35 years.
My love to all, our children and grandchildren.
But the largest part of my heart belongs to that man
who came into my life and changed me forever,
who tries so hard to keep me happy,
who tries to protect me from bad things and myself.
My prayer is many more years ahead together.

4 comments:

  1. Could have done without the "wink wink" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy 35 years! Beautiful story thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun story. Congratulations on your 35 years! And many more to come,too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being in the parking lot with you and there was no one else around. I told you that you were beautiful and that I loved you. I still feel that way. If it weren't for you, Daniel may have turned out like Fred.

    ReplyDelete